Traditional old houses for renovation in Crete (09.05.2016)
If you have found a charming old Cretan house and you wish to renovate it you need to know the following:
1) You need to define what you want. Before you buy an old house to renovate you need to know if what you have in your mind can be done. This sometimes it is not possible as there are many structural manners but also many laws that protect the architecture of the old villages or towns.
2) You need to be flexible with the time schedule of the renovation. It is logical to expect our house to be ready a specific period in order to plan our moving, electric appliances furniture etc. This it is not so easy in an old house that needs renovation. There are many construction delays that you will face during the renovation and that cannot be known before.
3) Plan to spend more than you thought. On an average people spend 20% more on their renovation than originally planned. Of course you can have a building contract that will describe a fixed cost for the work but this sometimes cannot be followed when you face a new feature in the house that you have to deal with it.
4) Check about your contractor's references when hiring someone you don't know. Most of us find contractors through recommendations. A good contractor pays attention to details, such as placing drop cloths and cleaning the site each day, is courteous of your time, follows up with your questions and bills on a regular basis.
5) Be open to new ideas and changes from the original plan. You may think everything is well thought out and planned but inevitably, changes will need to be made. A good contractor will offer solutions to small problems and use his experience from past jobs to recommend what works best. Stone built construction a unique method of building in Crete. This type of constructions takes you back to the Cretan origin of architecture and building. Stone built houses have a special atmosphere, with arches, fireplaces, wooden beams and they always adapt to the Cretan landscape. Crete is a perfect place for a stone built traditional house and at the end you will be rewarded for your decision.